Retiring soon...

A place to introduce yourself to the community
jim stapenell
Model Of Vehicle: RANGER XLT PX2
Year Of Vehicle: 2017

G'day from Tassie,

My wife and I are retiring in "45days" (21 Dec)... Bought our 2017 Ranger 3.2 XLT dual cab - "colour Magnetic", September 2017 when they were offering 5 years warranty for that September - (I think they are std 5 years now) - to tow our new 22ft New Age caravan, which we picked up early September 2018. We are really looking forward to our retirement, sorting out the Ranger and van over the next couple of months ready for "the mainland" next year...
We just had the exhaust heat shield recall done and were advised by the dealer that the glow plug software needs to be updated due to some error codes. This one is a bit of a concern to me. The dealer wants the car for 2 full days - surely it should only take 1/2 to 1 day. The thing I am concerned about is that if they break the tip off of a glow plug, the head might have to come off... Not good... From what I understand, removing and replacing the head will change combustion chamber pressures which could lead to early piston ring overhaul.
I did a search online and found a tool kit that can remove broken glow plug tips without removing the head. Is anyone familiar with this kit and is it the sort of thing dealers generally have in their tool kit. Here is a link to the kit. Hubitools kit number HU41050. www.hubitools.com
Here is a video of the tool...
Anyone have any advice? I really hope the head does not need to come off.
Regards,
Jim
Last edited by jim stapenell on Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jim stapenell

Forgot to add a photo
Attachments
Ranger & van.jpg
Ranger & van.jpg (3.94 MiB) Viewed 830 times
Ranger & van.jpg
Ranger & van.jpg (3.94 MiB) Viewed 830 times
hoges
Donator
Donator

Mate I purchased mine august 2017 and haven't had a recall on glow plug software, also I would have thought they would plug into the OB2 port and do the down load in no time at all, Stewart may know more.
Px2 auto, ARB bar, 17x8 American eagle wheels, 285x70 BFG at, diff drop kit, upper control arms, Dobinson remotes front, arb rear, 3 deg diff castor wedges, Body line flares, HDI intercooler, Derale 15960, AFE trans sump
GerryP
Forscan Dongle Type: OBDlink MX+ Black Bluetooth

I agree, mine's a 2017 and haven't heard anything about glow plug software updates. Any software updates though would be quick and easy via the OBD post as hoges has said. Sounds a bit strange to me.
Gerry
'17 Ford Ranger PX2 XLT Supercab
Manual, Canopy, Flares, ROH Assassins, Smartbar Stealth, Solar & Dual Battery
RossPat
Year Of Vehicle: 2018
Forscan Dongle Type: OBDlink MX Black Bluetooth

Hmmmm, try another dealer.

Sounds strange as a software update takes minutes and doesn't involve removing glow plugs so how would a tip get broken
2018 XLT PX2 in Winning Blue
GerryP
Forscan Dongle Type: OBDlink MX+ Black Bluetooth

Nice rig there Jim, we bought a new New Age MR18 just a few months ago... great van. :D
Gerry
'17 Ford Ranger PX2 XLT Supercab
Manual, Canopy, Flares, ROH Assassins, Smartbar Stealth, Solar & Dual Battery
saeb
Site Admin
Site Admin
Year Of Vehicle: 2015
Forscan Dongle Type: Ford VCM

I think you will find they read the vehicle fault codes when they done other work and found the glow plug faults. There is a TSB about it but it is not a recall.

If they are saying that amount of time then they are doing the lot which is good for you. It will include new plugs, gaskets, one of the fuel lines and programming of the PCM.

Basically my dealer said it was a prick of a job for everything to be done on mine, time wise.

I think you are overthinking the recall, either reading to much or too many comments from elsewhere possibly.

Rest easy, book it in, get it done, then drive it like you stole it.
Stewart

Ford PX2 Supercab 2015 Automatic